The Forgiveness Principle
1. In your own words, what is forgiveness?
2. In your own words, describe an unforgiving spirit.
3. In what way does an unforgiving spirit hurt you more than it hurts the other person?
4. What does God forgive us in the following verses?
– Psalm 103:3
– Ephesians 1:7
– I John 1:9
5. Why did Jesus teach us to pray these words, “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us?” (Two good reasons why.
6. Who needs forgiveness, and why?
7. Talk about this statement: There are no enduring relationships without forgiveness.
8. Think about a relationship that has failed because there is no forgiveness. Talk about a relationship where forgiveness was given, and the relationship was healed.
9. What do we learn about emotional health and well-being from Hebrews 12:15?
10. What is Matthew 18:21 teaching us?
11. Study the parable of the two debtors in Matthew 18:22-35. What is the one central teaching of this parable that we apply in our lives?
12. Write down every excuse you can think of that is valid for not forgiving.
Who is someone you need to forgive, and with God’s help, you will do it? From now on, you are going to pray blessings for that person. Write the name down and ask God to help you live out this great forgiveness principle.